stuff.

Ikea MICKE Desk Hack!

with 30 comments

I had bought an Ikea MICKE Desk awhile back because it was pretty simple, had some good drawer space and more importantly, hidden cable management!

The only downside to this desk was its depth. Unless you used a laptop or something on it, there really wasn’t much space at all.

In order to overcome this, the thinking cap came on and with some inspiration spurred on by this workspace and the whole Ikea Hackers movement. I decided to see what I could do to improve the desk, rather than go out and buy something totally different. (I did look, but didn’t see anything that fit my needs and that was affordable – so might as well make something!)

My idea started off as to use an extra shelf. Raised, so I could place the monitors on it and gain much needed desk space underneath back. I had a LACK wallshelf hanging around so I played around with that first, to get an idea of what would work.

Using some old Manfrotto boxes and the LACK, this is what it looked like:

Ikea MICKE Desk Hack - The Prototype

So all I needed, was some brackets to raise the shelf up..and the shelf it self. Ended up settling on the CAPITA brackets and the EKBY AMUND shelf.

Here was the final result, at a cost of under $65 AUD. Pretty good for more functionality, looks decent as well!

Ikea MICKE Desk Hack - Completed!

If you’re interested and want to see the progress shots on how it was all put together, check out the flicKR set here.

Interested in peoples thoughts on this! Let me know what you think.

Written by Aaron

April 6th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

30 Responses to 'Ikea MICKE Desk Hack!'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Ikea MICKE Desk Hack!'.

1. You are a talented man xox

Shane

7 Apr 12 at 3:48 pm

2. nice job!

i’m into something very much like this (and from the monitor speakers i would say you’re into music production too). the idea is great, my only concern is with the screws – am I needing longer ones to properly fit into the Micke? (based on your picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronactive/6903501550/in/set-72157629750284491/lightbox/)

oh, and sorry for my sloppy English :))

dylan

8 May 12 at 10:40 pm

3. Thanks! You mean screws to fit into the Ekby Shelf? You know you probably don’t, and it will work fine.. I just did it for that extra bit of safety. Depends what you intend to chuck up on the shelf I guess.

Not hard to find screws though, just make sure they’re not too long (mine are probably a touch too long as well) because if you aren’t careful, it might screw through or push out on the top side.

Cheers and english was fine.

8 May 12 at 10:44 pm

4. Wow, this is great! I’ve been wanting to buy another Ikea desk for a while now, but I wanted a desk that had a raised shelf for my monitor. I never thought of the idea of adding one on myself. Thank you so much for sharing your brilliant idea! It looks really nice too! I’m going to have my boyfriend help me build this. Thanks again!

-Erika
    Seattle, WA.
    USA

Erika

21 Jun 12 at 3:33 am

5. No worries Erika, Thanks for the comment! Glad it helped 🙂 Would love to see your results when you are done! Let me know how you go.

21 Jun 12 at 8:23 am

6. I’d been looking for a desk with a raised shelf like this for a while. I didn’t think of just getting a regular desk and adding a shelf. Great idea.

Is there room to place the CAPITA stands further apart on the MICKE? Maybe even up close to the cable hole? I’d be putting on some heavier speakers (HS50M or Tannoy 501a, haven’t decided yet) and think I’d need a stronger shelf (like the EKBY HEMNES).

As most of the weight would be at the ends, I’m thinking that putting the brackets closer to the ends of the shelf would help with the load. Plus if the brackets were under the speakers that would help with isolation and reduce unwanted vibration.

I could put another CAPITA or two in the center to carry the weight of a monitor or two.

Bob

27 Jul 12 at 1:54 am

7. There is room to go further apart so you could be extra safe and put 4 CAPITA stands on. Not sure if its totally necessary though. If anything I’d start from the two inside, and then if needed add the extra support on the outside later if you required.

Those Tannoy’s are only about 1.5kg heavier than my MS20s, the shelf I use at the moment holds a decent amount of weight with the monitors as well and after all this time I haven’t had any sagging issues whatsoever. The monitors/stand are putting at least 15kg on the center of that table..the dual monitor stand isn’t light either. Make what you will of that but it seems sturdy enough with my equipment on there.

Thanks for the comment!

27 Jul 12 at 6:57 am

8. I’ve done the same hack, but with the narrower desk (75cm). And the brackets facing forwards (so the back of the shelf sits level with the back of the desk, I don’t have space for the unit to sit too far off the wall) but I have issues with the shelf tilting down at the front. Think I may have to investigate the brackets, put larger washers underneath and failing that, copy your method completely!
    Could you tell me roughly how far your top shelf sits over the back of the desk? If at all.
    Many thanks

Zammo

9 Aug 12 at 4:29 am

9. Hey Aaron! It took me long enough to let you know how the desk setup went! I do apologize, I have been very busy and it slipped my mind. I made a Flickr account just so I could share the picture with you! Anyway, if you want to see how it turned out, here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88394600@N06/8073029399/

And again, thank you so much for sharing this idea. I LOVE my desk setup!

-Erika
    Seattle, WA
    USA

Erika

10 Oct 12 at 3:41 pm

10. Hi, being totally impressed with this I also did the same – perfect for what I need!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Mark
    Northern Ireland

Mark

14 Nov 12 at 7:32 am

11. Very cool guys! Glad to know you like it! It’s awesome to see people all around the world putting this together.

14 Nov 12 at 10:36 am

12. Hey Aaron, you’re welcome but the thanks goes to you Sir.

I cannot tell you how hard and long I hunted for something suitable for my needs. I was very restricted by width and depth and could find nothing suitable, they were all ugly and not meeting my requirements (not to mention expensive).

This hack is easy, cheap and looks fantastic. I’ve had nothing but compliments about the setup but I always reference you for coming up with the idea in the first place.

I did get slightly bigger washers for the underneath the table top which is worryingly hollow – having said that it seems sturdy enough. Just for added piece of mind I have pushed the whole desk back against the wall using a cloth as a buffer so I don’t think the shelf is taking the full weight anyway – though it seems more than capable of doing so, I’m just paranoid 😉

Incidentally, I don’t do DIY, I had to buy an Argos drill costing £14.99 to drill my two holes. I just used a tape measure for measuring where to put them and ensure clearance for the drawers. If I can do this hack, anyone can!

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark

20 Nov 12 at 2:02 am

13. Hello Aaron,

This is a very cool setup. I was wondering… is that two Micke desks put together? The Micke on the Ikea website says that the desk is only 28 3/4″ long?

CNLY87

1 Aug 13 at 8:33 am

14. Hrmm maybe they have discontinued it? Looks like the closest version is the one with the integrated storage on the side….

1 Aug 13 at 11:04 am

15. Hi there I am trying the same ikea hack and I’m having some issues with the capita brackets. The bolts won’t go through the whole desk (I got the malm desk) it’s just under 2″ . Do you have any ideas?

Chad

2 Sep 13 at 2:49 pm

16. Unless you can somehow extend the bolt within the bracket, Not sure there is much you can do unfortunately…

2 Sep 13 at 3:55 pm

17. I figured it out 🙂 bought new bolts and drilled some new holes works great. And I used 4 capita brackets with a total of 8 bolts… Good and solid! I could sit on the shelf lol

Chad

4 Sep 13 at 3:04 pm

18. That’s awesome mate, Post some photos up! Always keen to see other people’s versions of my hack

4 Sep 13 at 3:56 pm

19. Very nice! Have you had any problems with this desk sagging in the middle. It seems like that is a common problem with this model desk.

Jo

2 Apr 14 at 3:21 am

20. Hrmm I haven’t noticed actually..Will need to have a look!

9 Apr 14 at 1:23 am

21. How is this setup holding up? Have you had any issues?

acsel

27 Jan 15 at 7:41 am

22. No issues, holding up great!

27 Jan 15 at 11:05 am

23. Very cool! I have the same desk and I really want to do this. Out of curiosity, how big are your computer monitors? I’m thinking of upgrading my monitors soon and I want to figure out how big I can go.

Will

23 Mar 15 at 4:06 am

24. […] copied this setup a couple years ago and it worked out well. Less than $150 iirc. Ikea MICKE Desk Hack! at aaronactive Google ikea hacks or desk hacks – there are tons of ways to assemble various furniture pieces […]

25. They are 22″ Dells 🙂

13 Jun 15 at 11:00 am

26. Hi aaron great design and idea! I have a question,
    How do you manage cables?how can you hide them?seem that in the photo the studio monitors aren’t connected,can you do a picture of the back side? 🙂

Luca

17 Sep 15 at 8:03 am

27. They actually are connected! I’ve just run the cable along the shelf using some tape, and then it all comes down behind one of the stainless supports!

Also the desk has cable management built in underneath – so it all runs into that – power, everything..is all under there.

17 Sep 15 at 10:37 pm

28. Has that desk been discontinued, with the black and white? Ikea only have either all white or all black/brown.

nice work anyway 🙂

Mel

1 Dec 15 at 8:20 am

29. I think so, oh well that should just give you opportunity to change it up a bit. The surface of these desks aren’t that durable, I will be laminating it soon which should give it a lot more durability.

1 Dec 15 at 10:39 am

30. Thanks for posting this guide, I just made my own desk like this. It turned out great!

Nate